Wednesday, May 6, 2009

When do we get freedom from fear?

The New York Times has a letter from a hedge fund manager criticizing the way the Obama administration has treated debt holders. One of the things that struck me was the word "fear":

The responses of hedge fund managers have been, appropriately, outrage, but generally have been anonymous for fear of going on the record against a powerful President.... Furthermore, one by one the managers and banks are said to be caving to the President’s wishes out of justifiable fear.

I run an approximately twenty billion dollar money management firm that offers hedge funds as well as public mutual funds and unhedged traditional investments. My company is not involved in the Chrysler situation, but I am still aghast at the President’s comments (of course, these are my own views, not those of my company). Furthermore, for some reason I was not born with the common sense to keep it to myself, though my title should more accurately be called “Not Afraid Enough” as I am indeed fearful writing this… It’s really a bad idea to speak out.

Were people equally afraid to speak out against policies of George W. Bush?

No comments: