Sunday, November 2, 2008

Happy and Sad

A most interesting election campaign is coming to an end. If we lived in a better world, I would feel this way: I will be happy if Obama wins, but also a bit sad because McCain will not have the opportunity to be president. And I will be happy if McCain wins, but also a bit sad because Obama will not have the opportunity to be president.

Although I do not live in that world, I will have both happiness and sadness on Wednesday morning. If Obama wins, I will be sad that Obama has won but also happy that McCain lost. And if McCain wins, I will be sad that McCain has won but also happy that Obama has lost.

I will vote for the one whom I think is the lesser of evils, but I am aware I may be wrong. The best-laid plans of mice and men often go awry, and sometimes that is a good thing.

No comments: